The aim of collecting quality metrics is to use the data for:
- improving the test process,
- learning how our team improved its efficiency and productivity, rather than to just show fancy reports.
This includes finding tangible answers to the questions:
- How bad are the bugs?
- How many bugs found were fixed? reopened? closed? deferred?
- How many bugs did the test team did not find?
- How good were the tests?
- Was the test effort adequate? Could we have fit more testing in this release?
Good answers to these questions need measurement. This post includes metrics to answer above question.